1915 - 1915: The Welsh Regiment Territorial Battalion Uniform
1915: THE WELSH REGIMENT TERRITORIAL BATTALION UNIFORM
By the end of the First World War, The Welsh Regiment lost over 7,000 soldiers. The Welsh Regiment was awarded 70 Battle Honours, of which 10 were selected for display on the King’s Colour of the Regular and Territorial Force battalions. Three members of the regiment were awarded the Victoria Cross for valour. The regiment raised a total of 34 regular, territorial, reserve and service battalions. These fought at France, Belgium, Gallipoli, Syria, Egypt, Macedonia and Mesopotamia. Lieutenant Jayne Hodges wore this khaki drill uniform while on active service with the 1/5th Battalion. In August 1915, the 1/4th Battalion and 1/5th Battalion landed at Suvla Bay as part of the 159th Brigade in the 53rd (Welsh) Division. The unit relocated to Egypt after evacuating Gallipoli in December 1915.
Lt Hodges wore a khaki drill field service cap fastened with two small buttons at the front. The fabric is very breathable and helped to keep the wearer cool in hot climates. The cap also has foldable flaps on each side that could be worn down to protect the ears and the back of the neck in extreme climates. The field service cap was designed to be lightweight, comfortable, and easy to wear in the field. Its soft structure made it convenient for soldiers in the field to pack away when not in use.
Lt Hodges’ khaki drill uniform consisted of a cotton tunic which was lightweight and neutral coloured, proving itself both practical and popular in hot climates. The tunic has large breast pockets with buttoned flaps as well as two side pockets for storage. The sleeves are long but could also be rolled up for better ventilation. The chevrons on the right sleeve indicate service abroad, while the brown triangles near the shoulders are thought to be the unit insignia for the 159th (Cheshire) Brigade.