1840 - 1840: 24th (2nd Warwickshire) Regiment of Foot Uniform
1840: 24TH (2nd WARWICKSHIRE) REGIMENT OF FOOT MAJOR’S UNIFORM
Although the men’s cocked hat had been discontinued by the general order of 24 February 1800, officers still continued wearing it. This 1840 painting of Major H Greig shows a black cocked hat with gold lace ornamented with a white plume.
The single-breasted red coatee was very similar to that worn in 1830, in which year the 24th changed from being a silver laced regiment, to gold. Major H Greig CB has a large gold epaulette on each shoulder telling us that he is of field rank. The high collar was gold with gold lace, and the cuffs were green decorated with gold lace and buttons. He wears a crimson sash with tassels.
A square belt plate ornamented the belt. It is of burnished gilt with a simple design of a gilt laurel wreath and crown surrounding a silver Sphinx of Egypt and 24. This handsome ornament remained until 1855.
The coatee had gilt buttons with a “24” on them.
The trousers were very dark in colour, not blue, but almost black, that were called Oxford mixture. Gold lace decorates the outside seam.