1751 - 1751: 41st Regiment of Foot Uniform
1751: 41ST REGIMENT OF FOOT UNIFORM
On 1st July 1751, the regiment was numbered 41st and re-designated as the 41st Foot (or Invalids). Its service was confined mainly to the Portsmouth Garrison with detachments at Plymouth and in the Channel Islands.
The black tricorne of the private Infantrymen has a white worsted woollen tape binding known as lace. It has a black horsehair cockade secured with a 41st regimental button.
Soldiers would wear ponytails that were powdered and greased. In order to protect their jackets, soldiers enclosed the ponytails in what was known as a ‘queue’ bag.
The soldier would wear a long coat, reaching below the knees. Whilst marching or in battle, it is possible that its long skirt would have made it difficult to manoeuvre in. Up until 1787, the 41st Regiment’s facings were blue. The coat was typically red in colour, made of wool, and featured blue turn-back cuffs. The shoulder straps are red, fastened with a white metal button. The blue waistcoat features a low V-shaped neckline and was often buttoned down the front. It provided additional warmth and protection.
The coat would have featured white metal buttons. These buttons were uniquely marked with the number “41,” indicating the soldier’s affiliation with the regiment. This showed an adaptation towards more regimental distinction compared to previous periods.
The belts worn over the coat are of buff tanned leather. These belts were typically worn around the waist and shoulder and served various purposes, including holding equipment and providing support. The soldier’s bayonet scabbard belt was attached at the chest using a brass breastplate. The breastplate featured the distinctive Regimental number “41” on it, allowing for easy identification and adding a sense of regimental pride.
The breeches of the soldier were blue and had a drop front. They came to just below the knees with black regimental buttons fastening them there. The white linen gaiters were worn over black leather shoes.